Welcome to Mu Kappa's website!
The Mu Kappa chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi located at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan. Kappa Kappa Psi is a National Honorary Band Fraternity that was founded in 1919. More information about Kappa Kappa Psi can be found at kkpsi.org.
Currently, Mu Kappa has 44 active brothers and 7 honorary members. The chapter frequently assists the bands at Grand Valley, including the Laker Marching Band, Pep Band, University Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, and Jazz Band. Mu Kappa also aides area schools with their music education programs.
The Mu Kappa chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi, in its devotion to the five purposes of the fraternity, strives to simultaneously develop the character of its members, promote the advancement of Grand Valley State University Bands, and engage the music community at large, through:
- providing meaningful leadership opportunities, facilitating the development of holistic personal musicianship, and implementing worthwhile service projects for the entire band program in its diverse and ever-changing needs
- promoting intimate fellowship amongst musicians of all fields of academic study
- upholding an honorable representation of the brotherhood
All the while guided by an everlasting commitment to the love and appreciation of music, the value of brotherhood, the equal importance of all band members, a diverse musical experience, an unwavering professional attitude, and effective, passionate leadership for the benefit of its members and society.
About Kappa Kappa Psi
Kappa Kappa Psi, the co-ed National Honorary Band Fraternity, was founded in Stillwater, Oklahoma in 1919 at the then Oklahoma Agricultural and Technological College; now Oklahoma State.
It is Kappa Kappa Psi's purpose to aid the Director of Bands in developing the best band program possible.
Brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi are looked to as role models and leaders by other members in the band and on campus. Being a Brother is not a part time commitment. As such, the example we set should shine constantly to inspire others. The following qualities define Brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi. These qualities described Bohumil Makovsky, our Guiding Spirit. By following Boh's example, we will teach and inspire others, as he taught and inspired our Founding Fathers.
- Honor: Brothers should conduct themselves with honor at all times. Our service to college and university bands serves as an example to others. We should take pride in these accomplishments and not let anything tarnish our honorable reputation.
- Integrity: The character of our brotherhood is based upon the principles of decency and sincerity. Our impeccable integrity lets others know we can always be trusted to keep our word.
- Respect: Respect for others is a cornerstone of Kappa Kappa Psi. Our diverse membership is an asset that cannot be taken for granted. Using this strength to our advantage requires respect for others and their points of view. In return, we earn the respect from others by treating them as equals.
- Loyalty: Service to band programs and the Fraternity require people who are devoted to those organizations. Working together is the key to achieving our goals. Being loyal and dependable is therefore essential to our success.
President - Melissa Campbell
Exective Vice President of Membership - Tabatha Gulino
General Secretary - Ashley Cefali
Treasurer - Emily Machniak
Parliamentarian - Rachael Stites
Vice President of Service - Zach Casper
Historian - Claire Salinas
Musicianship Chair - Erin Ray
Ritual Chair - Lindsay Myers
Brotherhood Chair - Nicole Worswick
Technology Chair - Rosie Cunninghm
Public Relations Chair - Emily Machniak
Band Day Chair - Ashley Donaldson
Enjoy your visit to the website, and as always, strive for the highest!